Selling a house that needs a lot of work can be tricky since most buyers don’t want to have to complete home repairs on their new purchase. Fixing what’s broken will pay off when it comes time to set a list price for your home. Follow this guide to making repairs on your home before you put it up for sale.
Start by taking a walk through the inside of your house. If you know there are a lot of things that need work, it can help to walk around with a roll of blue painter’s tape to easily mark things that need to be repaired. Look closely for the following things:
- Walls and Ceilings – Check for nail holes and dents in the walls, spots with chipped paint, peeling wallpaper, or discolored walls or ceilings. Most of these can be fixed with a simple coat of paint, which is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to improve the appearance of a space.
- Lighting – Light can have a huge impact on how your home is perceived, and poor lighting doesn’t reflect well on even the nicest homes. Check all of the light fixtures in your home for burned-out bulbs, broken glass, or damaged electrical wiring. Replace or repair as needed.
- Flooring – Unless your floors are in really rough shape, you probably don’t need to replace them. Call a professional to clean the carpets and try to buff out any scratches on hard floors. Replace cracked or chipped floor tiles and make sure everything looks clean and functional with no tripping hazards or major eyesores like stains.
Exterior Home Repairs
The outside of your home is easy to ignore since you don’t look at it nearly as often as you do the inside. But that doesn’t mean it’s any less important to buyers. Examine the exterior of your home thoroughly and check for these needed home repairs specifically:
- Roof – Make sure there are no missing shingles or leaks in your roof. These types of repairs typically require the help of a professional, but it’s worth the cost since a leaky roof won’t escape the home inspector’s notice.
- Garage Door – A functioning garage door is a must, so if it doesn’t currently work then find a way to get it fixed. Make sure it’s up to code for safety reasons, and don’t forget to check for and repair any major dents.
Joe Homebuyer Dallas Can Help
Ready to sell your house but don’t want to deal with the home repairs? Joe Homebuyer Dallas can help! We’ll buy your home in Dallas, Texas, or the surrounding area, in any condition so you don’t have to worry about a thing. Leaky roof? Not a deal-breaker. Plumbing problems? Totally acceptable. Holes in the walls? We’ll take it.
Don’t let the stress of selling a house in disrepair get to you. Simply tell us a little bit about your property and we’ll make you a fair cash offer in as little as 24 hours. It doesn’t get easier than that! Contact Joe Homebuyer Dallas today for an offer on your home, no matter what condition it’s in.